Bryonna's Story, Part 8 - Unintended Consequences

  • Mary Taylor
  • 10/17/2016

The baby is fine. I can't guarantee that he won't be dumb. But he is fine!" Dr. Silver said.

Bryonna and I looked at each other in disbelief. Did he really just say that? We both burst out laughing. It didn't matter. What mattered was that Bryonna finally had a doctor that was on her side and was committed to bringing her baby into the world.

Dr. Silver had said he would be able to get both Bryonna and the baby through this safely. He did not say, however, that it would be easy.Still, Bryonna seemed to be doing well. I began to take for granted that everything was going to work out just fine. Bryonna spoke less about the possibility that she would need to place the baby up for adoption and spoke more and more about her feelings about becoming a mom. And I looked forward to the arrival of this little man with a warm and fuzzy feeling in my heart.

Then one day the phone rang. Bryonna was near hysteria. She was in pain and had been for days. Her ability to walk was all but gone. She had not left the apartment for days. If her legs were in any shape to get her down two flights of stairs, there was no guarantee that she could get back up. But most unnerving was that she was having difficulty breathing.

"I can't do it!" she sobbed. "I just can't do it. I can't breathe."

We talked for hours that evening. Bryonna was literally at the end of her rope. She had not taken pain medication in a valiant effort to do what was best for the baby but now she had reached her breaking point. As we talked she seemed to calm down. Bry had an appointment with Dr. Silver in just a few days. Could she make it that long?

I made her promise to go to the emergency room if things got any worse. I hung up the phone. All of my optimism seemed to evaporate as I contemplated the meaning this latest turn. I could hardly wait for Bryonna to see Dr. Silver. I silently prayed that this was just a temporary setback. Sleep did not come easily that night.

The next morning as I cleared the breakfast dishes from the table a text message from came in from Bry.

"Good morning Mary. I just wanted you to know that you have been wonderful through all of this and I really appreciate everything you have done for me."

I sent a text message back to her.

Get Involved

Pro Life Utah is helping raise money to help Bryonna with her medical expenses.

Donate Today

"How are you feeling this morning?."

It was several minutes before she replied.

"So, last night I really did some thinking. And sadly I have realized that although I appreciate all of…"

I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach. I tried to catch my breath.

"No. No. Please No!" kept playing inside my head.

The room seemed dark and the walls felt like they were closing in. I had encouraged her to continue this pregnancy and it was just too much for her. Now Bryonna was twenty seven weeks along. A termination at this point was more than I could bear to think of. What had I done? Had I made a situation destined to be tragic even worse?

I didn't know if she could get an abortion in Utah. She was past the legal gestational limit but with her health issues, it may still be possible. I did know that she could go to other states to have the procedure done and I knew that she knew that she could do that. A wave of nausea overcame me as I leaned against the kitchen counter for support.

It was five or six minutes before the next text message came in and Bryonna finished her sentence.

"…his efforts, my boyfriend might be a part of making things harder for me."

What? I exhaled for what seemed like the first time since I read the previous message. I reread the two messages together which put a whole new meaning to them.

"So, last night I really did some thinking. And sadly I have realized that although I appreciate all of…"

"…his efforts, my boyfriend might be a part of making things harder for me."

Laughter and tears came simultaneously as the misunderstanding cleared up in my mind. The relief I felt lifted the darkness from the room but I was not totally at ease. We could not see Dr. Silver soon enough!

A few days later we sat in Dr. Silver's office as he explained that everything Bryonna was experiencing may have been disconcerting but, in fact, was to be expected. And best of all most, if not all, of these problems should clear up just as soon as this baby is born.

Yes, there were going to be some challenges with this pregnancy but Dr. Silver's confidence in a happy outcome was a very welcome relief to both Bryonna and I. The relief went to our heads and we laughed and joked and took silly selfie pictures like a couple of school girls. If there had been any doubt how much my heart was entangled with my new friend and the baby that was growing within her, there certainly wasn't anymore.

This is a true story that is unfolding even as I write this. Even I do not know how the story ends. But we do know that Bryonna's medical bills are mounting and she has been unable to work. Please consider donating to this courageous young woman.

Or use your account on Blog

Error message here!

Hide Error message here!

Forgot your password?

Or register your new account on Blog

Error message here!

Error message here!

Hide Error message here!

Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link to create a new password.

Error message here!

Back to log-in